Pre & Post Surgical Intervention at Body in Balance Rehab in Linwood, NJ
Body in Balance Rehab Physical Therapy provides effective, evidence-based treatment for patients pre and post-surgery, whether a full joint replacement or recovery from a sprain or fracture.
We focus on restoring safe movement techniques and normal, daily living activities as quickly as possible. For hip replacements, for example, it’s important to provide appropriate techniques to ensure walking is resumed with proper gait.
Range of motion exercises, a stretching program, specific strengthening exercises, and a home exercise program are designed for each patient to ensure maximum recovery.
Benefits of Pre and Post-Surgical Physical Therapy
Physical therapy before and after surgery has multiple benefits:
- Improves surgical outcomes
- Lowers the risk of post-op infections
- Helps regain strength and mobility more quickly
- Reduces the length of hospital stays
Physical therapy pre-hab before surgery and rehab afterwards is regularly prescribed by surgeons to maximize positive results for patients.
Stretching helps patients recover full joint flexibility and range of motion. After surgery, soft tissues contract and scar tissue forms, decreasing flexibility and making moving more difficult. Supervised, regular stretching helps prevent scar tissue from forming, so it is less likely to interfere with rehabilitation. Stretching also makes many tasks, like reaching overhead, walking more than a short distance, and climbing stairs, significantly easier.
Customized therapeutic exercises improve strength and build muscle both pre and post-surgery. As endurance and strength build, patients are more comfortable during recovery. They can get back to the activities they enjoy more quickly.
Other Physical Therapy Pre and Post-Surgery
Surgeons and physical therapists regularly recommend other types of treatments pre and post-surgery.
- Electrical Stimulation – Mild electrical currents (TENS) increase blood flow, reduce pain, and help muscles contract efficiently.
- Heat and Ice – Warming and cooling the injured body part helps reduce pain and swelling. Many patients show better flexibility after using heat and cold on injured muscles.
- Ultrasound – High-frequency sound waves stimulate deep tissue to enhance healing and reduce pain.
Contact Body in Balance Rehab in Linwood, NJ, for Pre and Post-Surgery Physical Therapy
Physical therapy is an essential part of preparing for and recovering from surgery. Contact us to learn more about physical therapy and how it can help in your recovery.